In Sarnath, lies the Archaeological Museum displaying the Buddhist Cultural wealth, recovered from the site of Lord Buddha’s first sermon known as ‘dharmchakrapravartan’ in mrigadayavan or deer park.

Welcome to Sarnath Museum

Amid natural surroundings, lies the Archaeological Museum; which exhibits the Buddhist Cultural wealth, recovered from the site of Lord Buddha’s first sermon at deer park Mrigadava in Sarnath. As the findings are mostly from Buddhist monasteries or vihar, the plan of building was designed by James Ransome on the pattern of a Sangharam or a vihar. The noble idea was conceived by Sir John Marshal, the then Director General of Archaeology in view of Buddhist character of antiquities. The construction of museum building began in 1904 & was completed in 1910. The Central hall is as main chapel, galleries as monastic cells and verandah occurring as in front of cells in a monastery. The whole building is made of sandstone with flat roof.

     
   
  ...................................................................................................................................................................  
     
 
History of Sarnath Museum
Sarnath is one of the four most important Buddhist Pilgrimage centers. According to Mahaparinibbna Sutta, Buddha himself told his disciples to visit four places- Lumbini, BodhaGaya, Sarnath and Kusinagara which were connected with his birth, enlightenment, first preaching and decease ( nirvana) respectively. In ancient Buddhist literature the places finds mention as Rishipatana Mirgadava or Mirgadaya. The Place was called Rishipatana, as it was here the bodies of five hundred Pratyaka Buddhas Or Rishis (sages) fell after their attainment of nirvana ( salvation). The inscriptions of early medieval period found Sarnath referred to this place as Dharmacharkra or Saddharmachakrapravarttanavihara ( Convent of the Turning of the Wheel of the law). The Modern name Sarnath seems to be a contraction of Saraganatha (Lord of deer) still borne by the Lord Shivaenshrined in a temple nearby. Sarnath is also sacred to the Jainas because they look upon it as the site of asceticism and death of Sreyansantha the eleventh Trithankara .

Buddha the great sage after attaining enlightenment at BodhGaya came to Sarnath and delivered his first sermon to five monks (i.e. Kaundinya, Vappa, Bhadriya, Mahanaman and Asvajit) for redeeming humanity. It is this place where foundation of new order of monks (Sangha) and new order of religious doctrine (Dhamma) was laid.

The history of this place is covered with a veil of obscurity for the period of three centuries after the Buddha. Excavations carried out at the site revealed that it had a continuous occupation from third century B.C. to twelfth century A.D.

Ashoka (273-32 B.C.), the great Mauryan emperor, raised several monuments at this place. Dharmarajika Stupa was constructed to enshrine the corporeal relics of the Master.

Sarnath passed into oblivion in the thirteenth century and veil was lifted in 1798 when Mr. Duncan, the then Commissioner of Nenares gave an account of a casket of green marble inside a stone box imposed by the workmen of Jagat Singh, Diwan of Raja Chet Singh of Banaras while dismantling the Dharmarajika stupa in order to procure building materials in 1794. The discovery had created wide interest about Sarnath.

Later on excavations were conducted at the site by Sir Alexander Cunningham (1835-36). Major Kittoe ( 1851-52), Mr.C.Horne(1865),Mr.F.O. Oertal (1904-05), Sir John Marshall (1907), Mr. H. Hargreaves (1914-15) and Mr. Daya Ram Sahni(1927-32).
 
 
 
About Archaeological Museum Sarnath
Archaeological Museum Sarnath is the oldest site museum of Archaeological Survey of India in real sense. In order to preserve and display the antiquities found from the site during the excavations, a decision was taken in 1905 by the Government to construct a site museum adjacent to the excavated area at Sarnath.

It was due initiative of Sir John Marshall, the then Director General of Archaeology in India, that this museum was created. The plans were prepared by Mr. James Ransome , the then Consulting Architect to the Government of India. The building was completed in 1910 to house, display and study the antiquities in their right perspective. The building forms half of a monastery ( sangharama) in plan.

There are five galleries & two verandahs in the museum to display the antiquities ranging in time from third century B.C. to twelfth century A.D. found at Sarnath.
 
 
     
 
saranath is a holy place.

Celebration of Republic Day 26 January 2015 in presence of all staffs.

Sarnath Museum Celebrated International Museum Day on 18.05.2015

Inauguration of information Kiosk, Brochure & Booklet (Man Mahal)31.10.2014 Celebration of World Heritage Week (19-25 November 2014 & Inauguration of Braille Board

His Excellency Mr. Tshering Tobgay honorable Prime Minister of Bhutan visited Sarnath Museum on 16 January 2015.

An official website of Sarnath Circle Sarnath web address asisarnathcircle.org was also launched. An awareness programme for the cleaning of monuments of Sarnath Circle was jointly organized by the Sarnath Museum Unit & Sarnath Sub-Circle Unit of AIASA (employees association of ASI). All the officers and employees participated in this programme. On this occasion a rally was also organized to aware & give a massage to the citizens to keep clean the monuments.

 
 
 
 
 

Sarnath (lat 25 22’N. ; long 831’E. ; District Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh), renowned for ancient remains of Buddhist stupas, monasteries and temple , is situated at a distance of 9 K.m. to the north of Varanasi city which is well connected by road , rail and air.

 
 
     
     
 
 
Quotation for award of contract for providing manpower to work as Data Entry Operators (DEO)

CORRIGENDUM

Supply of Flooring tiles at Sarnath Museum (Digital Rustic full Body vitrified tiles, Design, Faggio Antico of PAVIT) (Size 700x200mm thickness 11mm)

SR (P) to conservation of basement area of Man Mahal, Varanasi

SR (P) to construction of dwarf wall with M.S. grill fencing at (Ghoshita Ram Vihar) excavated site, Kaushambi.

SR (P) to Structural Repairs of Southern side of Excavated Remains (Ghosit Ram Vihar) at Kaushambi

SR (P) to construction of dwarf wall with grill fencing of Ashokan Pillar at Kaushambi.

SR (P) to Clearence of western side debris & conservation of exposed structure of Chaukhandi stupa, Sarnath, Varanasi

SR (P) to Providing Boundary wall at Remaining Portion (North side) at Excavated site Bhita

SR (P) to Providing Pathway main Road to Defence wall at Kaushambi

SR (P) to Construction of west side compound wall of Prithvi Nath Mahadev temple, Distt. Gonda

SR (P) to Repair of south west ancient wall of Gulab Bari, Faizabad

Construction of store near staff quarter Old Shahi fort Jaunpur

SR (P) to Structural Repairs of Char Ungli Mosque at Jaunpur

SR (NP) to Barbed wire fencing of ancient mound Chhetiaon, Dist. Kushinagar

SR (NP) to Barbed wire fencing around ancient mound at Anirudhwa, Distt. Kushinagar

SR (P) to construction of boundary wall at ancient mound at Ashmanpur, Distt. Kushinagar

SR (P) to Development of Car parking area near Matha Kuar temple at Kushinagar

SR (P) to Repair of Nawab Shujauddaula tomb at Faizabad

SR (P) to Providing movement track to the eastern side at Kydganj cemetery at Allahabad

Construction of store near staff quarter Old Shahi fort Jaunpur

SR (P) to Repair of Plateform of tomb of Khushro at Khushrobagh, Allahabad

SR (P) to Construction of Ancient structure & stupa behind main temple at Kushinagar

SR (P) to Repair of south side ancient wall of Bahu Begum tomb, Faizabad

SR (P) to Repair of south west ancient wall of Gulab Bari, Faizabad

SR (P) to Raja Man Singh Observatory at Man Mahal, Varanasi

SR (P) to repair and raise of East west corner fortification wall of Old Shahi fort at Jaunpur

Corrigendum

SR (P) to Wooden fencing/chainlink railing around Dhameka stupa and Panchayatan temple at Excavated Remains at Sarnath

SR (P) to Structural Repairs of Southern side of Excavated Remains (Ghosit Ram Vihar) at Kaushambi

SR (P) to Wooden fencing/chainlink railing around Dhameka stupa and Panchayatan temple at Excavated Remains at Sarnath

 
     
Sarnath Museum Celebrated International Museum Day
  Sarnath Museum Celebrated International Museum Day on 18.05.2015  
     
Sarnath Museum Day 2016
  Sarnath Museum Day 2016  
     
Mr. Richard R. Verma,
  Mr. Richard R. Verma,U.S. Ambassador to India visitedat Archaeological Museum Sarnathon 16.12.2015.  
     
Sarnath Museum Independent Day
  -  
     
 
©2013 All rights reserved by Sarnath Museum Designed & Maintained By Xtremelogic Solutions Pvt. Ltd.